Followers

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Thank You RNLI

Hi there, I started this Blog ages ago but haven't had the nerve to use it really.  Its my Poems and Little Ditties, I don't have a lot of control over some of them they just pop into my head, I hardly ever alter what I first write down because if I think about it too much they deteriorate instead of getting better.   I have been writing poems and ditties for about 24 years, after a traumatic time in my life I realised I was thinking in rhyme I grabbed a pen and wrote two very long peoms - it was coming in my head so fast I couldn't keep up and had to write it cryptic and then go back later to write it out in full?  So maybe trauma or severe sadness brings out something else in our brain that we have been saving to guide us through a rainy day. 
 
 Image result for Photo of RNLI
My boat was just a Dingy!!

A bit miserable your poetry isn't it my Sister said to me one day??? Mmmm I thought it is a bit.  So after I was over this sad time - or what I now term as a "lucky escape from a bad relationship" I started to write little ditties about situations and people I know.  People started to ask me for poems or ditties and we used to have little competitions. Most of them are too personal to the people in the situation, like the one I wrote about a breakup in our Department when I worked at Allied Dunbar in Swindon naming every person who worked there - one of my best but it means nothing to anyone else. There is the one I wrote as a Promo for a friend who was the PR Manager at Super Bowl.  They wanted to get "Mr Motivator" there (for those too young to remember Mr Motivator used to do a Morning TV slot "Motivating" people to be fit and healthy and went round the country filming people in the work place.  So anyway Apparently he had thought my poem was really good and came along, so I was invited to join in and was on TV all dressed up in my Suit ready for nip off to work straight after, so not the best attire for a keep fit session?  The cameral Man did a few zoom in shots of my "necklace!????? How embarrassing, still it was fun and it felt great to know that something I wrote helped to make that happen!
 
So I will tell you more later, if you are interested that is. 
 
I am going to start with a Verse/Poem/Ditty whatever you think it should be called, about a near death experience I had. If I was a Cat I would be clinging on to those few lives I had left I tell you.  A Car Accident, a Train Crash, a Fire explosion in a wooden building, Standing and loosing my balance at the top of a cliff when drunk??? And then this...........
 
 NATIONAL: 2009 busiest year on record for RNLI lifeboat crews and lifeguards
 
Two days before this happened we were at a Theme Park, I walked into the theme park saw an RNLI stand and said to  my Hubbie  "I must sign up to give them some money", "Can't it wait till we get home"? he said. "NO" I said, "I want to do it now"!!
 
An ODE to say THANK YOU RNLI

 Rescued at Sea? That would be me! Oh what a scary day, lost all control of my body when the waves carried me away. Five minutes I had been there, not very long at all? From up to my knees, to "rescue me please" can anyone hear me call? The waves came and took me and my board, and pushed all other swimmers to Shaw, but kept me with it pulling me back till I could see the beach no more!!

Down in the Swell is a lonely place, I never want to go there again. I shouted for help, quiet at first, whilst reversing past six strong men, one of them tried to swim to me but I told him to just get help. The wave pushed him forward and sent me back as he sent me a glance, heart felt.x

A swimmer appeared from behind me, "O'h what a relief" I said. "I can't get in I shouted", to him, "it's pushing me back instead"!! "I'm stuck too" said the swimmer and disappeared with the next wave, whilst the Sea was crashing over my head, I knew I had to be brave.

I clung to the board I'd bought, half an hour ago? and took stock of what I could see. The shop where I bought it up on the Cliff now looked very tiny to me?

 I couldn't see the beach at all, I felt I could maybe soon die? An earie silence hung over me, Till a flash of Orange caught my eye. I knew the RNLI were on constant watch, but I thought I had passed them by, the swell of the water above my head must surely have been too high?

 Suddenly my heart skipped a beat, I knew I was homeward bound, the RNLI were on their way but said "we have to turn the boat around"!!!
 Noooooooooooo I shouted after them PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME ALONE??? But the waves were crashing onto the boat and then they were suddenly gone!!
They had to come in on a wave you see, they re-appeared in a flash! I grabbed the rope and almost went under when the boat hit me with a crash!
 They tried their best to pull me in, but I just got stuck to the rubber, they pulled and pulled but it did no good I was dead weight with all my Blubber!!!
"I'm sorry I'm too heavy" I cried, "I'm sorry I'm too fat"!!! they couldn't get me in, I was doomed, I thought "that's the end of that"????

"Just throw ANYTHING up on th side" one of them shouted to me. So I dug down deep for some stamina and chucked them an ARM and a KNEE!!!!
They grabbed whatever they grabbed and they threw me in the boat. One of my BOOBIES came out of my costume, a strange thing, I thought, to note????
I lay facing down all embarrassed, I really couldn't win??? My hands were shaking uncontrollably but eventually I POPPED IT BACK IN!!

I sat up shaking, silent and subdued, I thought I was alright maybe? But when I tried to talk back to them I realised I was sobbing like a Baby?
 They had to drop me off at the beach, as soon as it was possible to do. "I'm fine" I said "just chuck me out". There were others needing rescuing too. The RNLI were busy that day constantly in and out, its a rough old Sea at Perrin Sands you should just keep waving don't shout. "Like in that advert" (O'h look he's waving at us"!!)

 Its a strange and scary feeling when the Sea is in control of you. I assume if it wants to take you there's not that much that you can do!!!!

Without the RNLI where would I be today? Not only me but the thousands of others who have been rescued in this way?

A funny thing happened 2 days earlier, I set up a direct debit. The the RNLI, would you believe, "when I get home" I said, "I will TREBBLE IT" !!!!!
 So THANK YOU to all the Women and Men who work for the RNLI you got a flash of my boob and I got a fright but thanks to you I didn't die!!!

the End - or not quite yet!
By Sam Crowe

********

Rescued Aug 2009
 Age 48
Weight 10st 12 lb !!!!!
whilst Body Boarding for the first and last time.
Duration of Surf board use, from new - 15 minutes!!!!

NUMBER OF PEOPLE RESCUED WITHIN HALF AN HOUR - 47 plus me 48

Apparently it was a freak wave that had only happened once before on that beach where the sea pushed the sand from under our feet - I was only actually stood up to the depth of water just above my ankle at the time I was swept away - so BEWARE OF THE SEA.

Hope you enjoyed / found interesting / finished the Ode?

Luv Sam xxx


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your poem and your scary experience. Thank goodness you were rescued...that was a lot of people in such a short space of time.

    I'm pleased that you are now out of the sad time that you described at the beginning and that you found this talent for writing in rhyme.
    Looking forward to reading more
    Hugs Jeanette xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, also meant to say what wonderful work the RNLI do x

      Delete
    2. Thank you Jeanette for such a lovely comment. Yes they do,do a great job. Especially on beaches like Perrin Sands where they sit all day every day and non of them are getting paid. Its a massive beach and there are two places where the RNLI sit, this freak wave - it has a name - wipes out the sand from under you, it happened on both their locations on the same beach - it was in their RNLI Magazine only ever happened there on in about 10 years, talk about bad timing on buying a body board eh??

      Delete